Eden Educators are Blooming!
Dr. Bill Thomas is always reminding us that education is the antidote to fear and resistance. Education is very important on the journey to person-directed care. Education needs to be provided, reinforced daily and refreshed periodically. With budget cutbacks a standard practice nowadays, especially in the area of employee education, now, more than ever, it is important for leaders to find low cost, effective options. Certified Eden Associates and Certified Eden at Home Associates who have a passion for The Eden Alternative, and a way of inspiring others through word and deed, can be grown into Eden Educators. As skilled facilitators, Eden Educators are equipped to provide information, knowledge, skills, training, resources and support that keep the person-directed care journey alive and thriving. This is what makes the journey sustainable. When education drops off, institutional practices start creeping back in.
Eight organizations, and two individuals, have taken the plunge and completed the 5-day Train the Educator Intensive so far in 2016. Nine new Educators completed an Intensive hosted by Signature HealthCARE in Louisville, KY, and seven new Educators completed an Intensive hosted by Calhoun County Medical Care Facility in Battle Creek, MI. These newly minted Educators are:
• Anna Sontag, Full Life Programs (Oregon)
• Joan Devine, Missouri Coalition Celebrating Care Continuum Change (Missouri)
• Skye Workman & Dayna Arnold, Sitka Pioneer Home (Alaska)
• Ronnie Brown, Christian Living Communities Clermont Park (Colorado)
• Phillip Ramey, Angie Conley, & Megan Morrison, Signature HealthCARE (Kentucky)
• Rosemary Damigella, Briarwood Healthcare and Rehabilitation Center (Massachusetts)
• Sally Dull & Therese Maupin-Moore, Thornapple Manor (Michigan)
• David Green & Deborah Heath, Jackson County Medical Care Facility (Michigan)
• Len Weiser, Masonic Villages (New Jersey)
• Patricia Newman & Dawn Streeter, Francis Parker Memorial Home (New Jersey)
These new Eden Educators are already making plans to facilitate their first classes, which will combine new, prospective Associates and current Associates seeking to refresh and renew their commitment to the journey. Case in point, at the Battle Creek, MI class, the team, which included current Associates, helped train 35 new Associates from 7 different organizations across Michigan. Formal leaders from these organizations also joined us to support graduation on the third day! It was a challenging and inspiring growth experience for everyone involved.
The next Train the Educator Intensive is scheduled in Denver Colorado Monday, July 11, 2016 through Friday, July 15, 2016 from 8:30 AM – 5:00 PM each day. Click here to download the Eden Educator application.
“Those people who develop the ability to continuously acquire new and better forms of knowledge that they can apply to their work and to their lives will be the movers and shakers in our society for the indefinite future.” ~ Brian Tracy