Participants will learn how to:
- Decrease reliance on psychotropic medications;
- Reframe “problem behaviors” as unmet needs;
- Identify the limitations of our current approach to care for those living with dementia;
- Improve communication and promote positive, affirming interactions;
- Envision an “experiential model” for viewing dementia and recognize the importance of enhancing well-being for all; and
- Apply the model to everyday situations and reduce challenging interactions through creative solutions that empower individuals to live full and positive lives.
Dementia Beyond Drugs delivers results…
A recent pre/post survey process revealed the following training outcomes:
- Participants experienced an overall 9% shift toward person-directed perceptions of and approaches to, dementia care after only two days of training.
- Findings showed that participants also conveyed confidence in their ability to apply the non-pharmacological solutions learned.
This training is derived from Dementia Beyond Drugs: Changing the Culture of Care, by G. Allen Power, M.D., Copyright © 2010 by Health Professions Press, Inc. (www.healthpropress.com). Adapted with permission of the publisher.